If you are satisfied with a service, it is quite common in Hungary to tip.
Restaurants / Cafés
Some restaurants automatically add a 10-15% “service charge” to the total bill, usually. This fact should be clearly visible on the menu and on the bill. However, since this is not always the case, one can also ask whether it was included in the calculation. In this case, you can always round up the total or add an extra tip, just know that the restaurant has already added it.
If the restaurant/cafe does not charge a “service charge”, it is customary to tip about 10% if satisfied.
It is very common to pay by card in restaurants. In this case you can also have a higher sum debited from the card or you can tip the waiter in extra cash.
In Hungary, you rarely pay separately in restaurants. As a rule, a dinner party gets a bill. If you want to pay separately – as is often the case in some countries – you should tell this when you place your order so that there are no problems afterwards.
When using a taxi, you should be careful about the price calculation anyway. You can find more Information about that on my site. However, if you were traveling with a correct taxi at the legal rate, the 10% tip is also customary.
- From the airport to the city center
- Travelling by taxi
- Currency exchange
- Public transportation in Budapest
- Pickpockets and similar dangers
- EU citizens 65+ travel for free
- Driving your own car in Hungary
- Inside visit of the Parliament building
- Sightseeing boats on the river Danube
- Buying cigarettes and smoking
- Private tour in Budapest. By car or on foot?