As in most big cities, where there are many tourists and locals, there are unfortunately quite a few pickpockets in Budapest. If you keep the following tips in mind, you don’t need to worry about it:
Pickpockets are particularly active in the sometimes overcrowded public transport, in pedestrian zones and in shops. So, special care should be taken in these areas.
You should only have as much cash with you as you need. You should leave your valuables in the hotel safe anyway.
However, if you want / need to have more cash with you, you should split the money up and keep it in different pockets.
Another scam are the classic “shell gamers”. The citadel and the Gellerthill are particularly affected. Of course, you should definitely not play along. Believe me you will never win ….
- From the airport to the city center
- Travelling by taxi
- Currency exchange
- Public transportation in Budapest
- EU citizens 65+ travel for free
- Driving your own car in Hungary
- Inside visit of the Parliament building
- Sightseeing boats on the river Danube
- Buying cigarettes and smoking
- Where and how much tip is usual?
- Private tour in Budapest. By car or on foot?